Love is not visible to the eyes but to the soul - Shakespeare

Saturday 20 April 2013

Frida Kahlo's Style

Like so many others, I adore the paintings of Mexican artist Frida Kahlo. I still remember the first encounter with one of her works: it was in my Danish class (yes, actually..) and we were presented with various paintings to analyse like we did short stories and novels. 

The Broken Column - Frida Kahlo - www.frida-kahlo-foundation.org
It was this The broken Column from 1944 and it was so striking to me. I had never seen a self portrait like this before. All I knew was the beautifying and glamourising portraits or the royal portraits. But this!? Exposing one's vulnerability and pain in a serious painting was something which blew me away. It also had a closer resonance to me as I have always suffered from spinal pains and I could very well imagine how it must feel to have your spine shattering to pieces.

And now following the will of her husband Diego Rivera, her locked up closets have been opened and many of her items are curated into an exhibition in her house in Mexico. Alas, I am probably not able to see it before it closes later in the year but examples of her most significant and iconic attributes are featured through Vogue Mexico online; her dresses.

When ever we think Frida Kahlo, we automatically have her colourful dresses and head pieces in mind. I have for long wanted to draw a paper doll of her so these dresses will be my first go to material and then her paintings and photographs of her.
If you follow the link at the bottom you can see a higher resolution of her wonderful wardrobe.
El estilo de un mito
El estilo de un mito
El estilo de un mito
El estilo de un mito
El estilo de un mito
El estilo de un mito
El estilo de un mito
El estilo de un mito
El estilo de un mito
El estilo de un mito
{link}

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...